Business Agility in Uncertain Times
The COVID-19 pandemic crisis has affected businesses across the world. In 2020, we worked hard to execute immediate actions like for 100% Working From Home (WFH) in many countries. Even as things have stabilized, we all know that we are a long way away from the next normal. As a brighter future emerges in 2021, three focus areas for business agility are:
1. Customer-centric Lean Mindset. Developing a customer-centric lean mindset from executives to individual contributors helps drive consistency of purpose and alignment of action end-to-end across the enterprise.
2. Lean Portfolio Management. Ensuring that we work on building the right things for our customers greatly reduces wasted effort and cost. Lean Portfolio Management also helps us build discipline around Work in Process (WIP) limits and helps us focus on chunking and prioritizing the right product and services to dramatically improve flow and agility.
3. Strategic Agility with OODA Loop. Even as business conditions continue to change, John Boyd’s Observe, Orient, Decide, Act (OODA) Loop can help us navigate our volatile and uncertain times. Driving strategic agility with the OODA Loop is an imperative in today’s world.
• The basics of a Customer-centric Lean mindset
• An overview of limiting Work in Process with Lean Portfolio Management
• How to define and perform OODA loop planning